Decatur - Cole County Communities
Decatur was east of Enon. (Enon is in Moniteau Co.). (--Sectional Map of Mo., 1894, Rand, McNally.)
Decatur, Cole Co., was named in 1820 for Capt. Stephen Decatur (1799-1820) who won fame in the Tripolitan War. (--Our Storehouse of Mo., Place Names, Ramsay, p. 61.)
CLASSIFIED BUSINESS DIRECTORY OF COLE COUNTY
Decatur, in Moreau township, 20 miles southwest of Jefferson City, the seat of justice, and 6 southeast of Russellville, its banking and shipping point. Mail daily. Population 100.
Amos & Co., general store.
Baptist church, Rev. N. Allie, pastor.
Decatur Roller Mills.
Howard. S. J., blacksmith.
Norwood, J. B., physician.
Pitchford, William, general store.
Steenberger, Isaac, carpenter.
Source: Illustrated Sketch Book AND DIRECTORY OF JEFFERSON CITY AND COLE COUNTY
J. W. JOHNSTON. Editor.