Lohman - Cole County Communities
Lohman, the new name given to Stringtown about 1884, is twelve miles southwest of the capital. C. W. LOHMAN (postmaster), N. DOHLER and LOHMAN & Co. were the general dealers; KIRCHNER & SHEPERLY operated a flouring and saw-mill; N. LINHARDT a saw-mill, and George RAINES a flouring-mill. Two Lutheran Church societies were organized, George FIGENSCHER presiding over one and J. A. PROFH over the other.
It is situated at Sec. 21, Twp. 44 N, Range 13 West on Highway D north of C.
Stringtown, on the southwest quarter of Section 21, Township 44, Range 13, was surveyed by W. VOGDT, and acknowledged by John and Andrew BLOCKBERGER February 11, 1882. Front Street parallels the railroad, with High Street north, both intersected by Elm, Main and Walnut Streets.
CLASSIFIED BUSINESS DIRECTORY OF COLE COUNTY
Lohman, on the Lebanon Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railway, in Moreau township, 13 miles southwest of Jefferson City, the county seat and banking point. Mail daily. Population 200.
Baumau. Ed., saw mill.
Berger, Jos., hotel keeper and livery stable.
Beumel. H. A., wagon maker and painter.
Blochberger, F. W., blacksmith and painter.
Dochla, Mary, dressmaker.
Fikensher, Otto, Physician.
German Lutheran church.
Hoffman, A., carpenter.
Hohuber, Mathias, shoemaker.
Huettenmeyer, John, carpenter.
Kautsch & Linhardt, general merchant.
Kautsch, Henry, blacksmith.
Laemmliein. Wm., tie and timber contractor.
Linhardt, Otto, stock breeder.
Lohman, C. W., general merchant and express agent.
Peetz, A., harness.
Strobel Bros., stone masons.
Sinclair, John, stock dealer.
Walser, A. N., stock dealer.
Welsh, J., carpenter.
Source: Illustrated Sketch Book AND DIRECTORY OF JEFFERSON CITY AND COLE COUNTY
J. W. JOHNSTON. Editor.